Skip to main content

Featured

Sen-Fi's 2023 IEM Tier List

Before the year ends I created this tier list for fun and wanted to categorize the IEMs I reviewed, auditioned, and owned. DISCLAIMER: Anything on this tier list is subjective. You can refer below to how I logically categorize some of the IEMs on this list This list is not the "one true tier list" or the "gospel". Geez, I'm not that much of an expert and what's good for you may not be good for others, vice versa. I'm basically doing this for fun, I currently have an issue on my right ear so I won't be doing some reviews for a while. Everything on the list is tried and tested, I won't include anything I haven't tested. I won't put description on every IEMs on the list unless I have to justify it. Just have fun reading my tier list, no need to be too serious. Sen-Fi 2023 Tier List GOD Tier  (not in my official Tier List. These are basically revered being in God Tier because of their paramount price, only a selected few can own it, and it ha

BQEYZ Summer : A Taste of Summer



Pros :

  • Energetic mid-bass
  • Good mids
  • Well-extended and detailed highs
  • Lightweight
  • Decent package
  • Wide soundstage, decent imaging


Cons :

  • Kind of hard to drive
  • IEM Design is not that outstanding
  • May sound harsh at the higher frequency
  • Overall sound may not please everybody


BQEYZ Summer is a tribrid driver configured IEM specifically a PU+LCP diaphragm DD, a 5-layer piezoelectric unit and

A custom-tuned BA. A really outstanding and overwhelming amount of drivers in one unit that certainly speaks with a huge amount of volume. Unfortunately, the Summer is not as prominent as the Autumn and Spring 2, but this IEM is no slouch and can definitely compete, I am telling you.


Before we start, here's a quick DISCLAIMER:

- I paid for this unit and got it from a friend. This is an independent review and is in no way affiliated with BQEYZ. Rest assured that this review will be free from any form of bias.

- No monetary compensation is involved for the duration of this review.

- This review is my personal observations; your preferences might not match mine.




Sources Used:

LG V20 (ESS ES9218 Quad-DAC B&OTuned (Global Variant))

LG V10 (ESS ES9018)

LG G8 ThinQ (ESS ES9218p Quad-DAC Meridian Tuned)

I used the stock cobalt-colored silicone ear tips since I find them softer and more comfortable than the clear silicone tips, which have a more rigid stem than the cobalt ear tips.


/ package /



From the package, the Summer is encased on a flip box that looks like a smartphone box, it feels sturdy, and the IEM sits on a foam. Inside are the eartips; we have six pairs of silicone ear tips ranging from S, M, and L. A brush for cleaning the IEM and a faux-leather case. What can I say but not bad, I guess.



I'll give the packaging a 5 out of 5.


/ build /

The Summer uses a clear lightweight plastic shell. I would prefer if my friend had the blue one so it would blend well with the clear silicone tips with blue stems, yet, the transparent black shell ain't bad. I can't say if the build is that durable since it feels plasticky compared to the Spring 2 (matte aluminum) and Autumn (metal, I did not specify what metal, but I think it's aluminum). So far, I don't have any issues with its sturdiness. I believe the resin used is safe from paint chips and dents compared to aluminum shells.


So, 4 out of 5.


/ sound /

At first, I didn't find the Summer to have a redeeming sound and was dismayed by it. Over time I was dead wrong in my impression of the IEM, and the longer I listened to it, the more I learned to love the IEM. It's very detailed, lively, and clean. The first time these IEMs went to my ears, I gave it that this IEM has a V-shaped signature.


Lows : The midbass is the highlight of the Summer in the lows department, it has a punchy attack with good extension. The sub-bass is not that prominent; rumbles, and some earthy textures cannot be felt but are decent enough if you are not that much of a basshead. This is not a bassy IEM. It is just extended sufficient to make the IEM energetic. I did not notice any midbass bleed.

I'll give the lows a 4 out of 5 because of their energetic dynamics.

Mids: The mids are slightly recessed, and vocals are above average. Instruments are clean; higher mids are crisp and airy. I cannot say anything outstanding about the mids, it's just average for me. Vocals don't have that natural timbre, but it doesn't sound too artificial. It's just okay. Given the V-shaped nature of this IEM, I understand why I don't find any "wow" on the mids.

Let me give it an average score of 3.5 out of 5

Highs: Highs are well extended and elevated. The details on the highs are almost to the point that it's very satisfying. Crisp, airy, and inoffensive. However, first-time listeners of the Summer might find the highs harsh due to their elevation. That's how I saw Summer the first time I tried it, but the longer I listened to Summer, the more I appreciated how the Summer retrieves small details with excellence.

I'll give the highs a 4 out of 5. It's inoffensive, free of sibilance, and well-extended.


Soundstage: Summer has good layering, and the space between vocals and instruments has decent distance and positioning. Summer can decently pin-point these details, making the listener focus and target a specific sound.

Imaging: Summer was able to reproduce the imaging that can differentiate between this and that in the sound spectrum. Summer can handle busy tracks with decent precision.


FINAL SCORE




Is it worth having the Summer? For $129, hmmm, I would try to find another IEM before blindly buying the Summer and see how it compares to other IEMs in its price range. But implementing LCP and Piezo is a new experience for me; it definitely won't work out in the beginning but pair this with a warm source or so; it would be worth trying. For driving this IEM, I think a phone can run well; you don't need to use an AMP. I tried amping it, in the end, I concluded that this could go without an amp. It's power-hungry, yes, but an amp does not need to play this wonderful gem. An energetic and lively IEM, if that's your kind of sound preference, I would suggest the Summer. 



Comments

Popular Posts