Skip to main content

Featured

Sen-Fi's 2023 IEM Tier List

Before the year ends I created this tier list for fun and wanted to categorize the IEMs I reviewed, auditioned, and owned. DISCLAIMER: Anything on this tier list is subjective. You can refer below to how I logically categorize some of the IEMs on this list This list is not the "one true tier list" or the "gospel". Geez, I'm not that much of an expert and what's good for you may not be good for others, vice versa. I'm basically doing this for fun, I currently have an issue on my right ear so I won't be doing some reviews for a while. Everything on the list is tried and tested, I won't include anything I haven't tested. I won't put description on every IEMs on the list unless I have to justify it. Just have fun reading my tier list, no need to be too serious. Sen-Fi 2023 Tier List GOD Tier  (not in my official Tier List. These are basically revered being in God Tier because of their paramount price, only a selected few can own it, and it ha

KZ ZES : Bass Heavy Lightweight

poster image of an earphone



Pros:
  • Robust and lightweight build
  • Good cable
  • Powerful and energetic bass
  • Good imaging in its price range

Cons:
  • Upper mids and treble peaks
  • Sibilance is evident on sibilant prone tracks
  • Soundstage is average
  • Barebone packaging

DISCLAIMER : This unit is provided by Jeff Yang of KZ for an honest review of the product. No money is involved before, during and after this review.

/ packaging /

KZ ZES package

Stock cable


For KZ ZES I expected the KZ ZES to have the black box that they have for premium IEMs since the looks and the cable of this unit takes after their premium lineups. Yet, we have the usual white KZ box. Inside the package we have the unit and the KZ Starline tips installed, 2 pair of silicone eartips, and a braided SPC cable that we see on black KZ boxes. Usual KZ barebone unboxing experience but the looks of the IEM makes up for it.

/ sound /

Tracks Used :
Senbonzakura - Ado
On Your Shore - Enya
Only Time - Enya
Chasing Pavements - Adele
The Days - Avicii
AM2:00 - Aimer
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Living in Americs - James Brown

Lows 4/5
Sub-bass is heavily emphasized and boosted. Midbass is thick and energetic. Mid-bass occassionally bleeds across the mids. Personally, I have nothing good or bad to say on the amount of bass on this IEM, I mean there are times that I like it because the thump and slam of the sub-bass especially on EDM tracks are energetic and fun. However, this emphasis does not go well with other genres and sometimes feel low resolution or whatever you call it. This IEM is good for bassheads looking for energetic and strong sub-bass feels.

Mids 3/5
Mids are on the average level. Overall timbre sound warm but recessed. Instruments perform better with good, fast, attack and has richer texture than the vocals.

Highs 3/5
Treble is evidently extended especially on brighter tracks. Cons for the highs : Treble may be offensive on low quality files and would punish you with sibilance especially on sibilant prone tracks, occassionaly sounds unnatural. Positively, detail-retrieval is good, treble reproduction is airy, sparkly, and crisp. I have mixed opinions on the treble section but take these with a "grain of salt".

Soundstage and Imaging 3.5/5
Soundstage expansion is average, spacious enough to make room for vocals and instruments. Just imagine yourself in a small studio. Imaging is good, not the best but good enough to determine where vocals and instruments are placed.

Sources Used:
LG G8
Zishan U1
Abigail CX31993 Dongle

FINAL SCORE




KZ still continues to grow by the day improving their crafts. ZES is one of these units that KZ will continue to improve. I love the design approach overall. Well... maybe if they tried to approach this without using the ZSN-like design on the face I would love it even more. Nevertheless, it's overall build promises robustness pair that with the cable and you get a very magnificent IEM.

When it comes to sound, ZES is just another V-shaped IEM introduced in the market that would satisfy casual listeners. For critical listeners, they will have to pass on this one. I am somewhere between casual and critical, but most of the time I am a casual listener that tends to enjoy music rather than observing details all the time so KZ ZES is something that most will enjoy. 




Comments

Popular Posts