Skip to main content

Featured

Sen-Fi's 2023 IEM Tier List

Before the year ends I created this tier list for fun and wanted to categorize the IEMs I reviewed, auditioned, and owned. DISCLAIMER: Anything on this tier list is subjective. You can refer below to how I logically categorize some of the IEMs on this list This list is not the "one true tier list" or the "gospel". Geez, I'm not that much of an expert and what's good for you may not be good for others, vice versa. I'm basically doing this for fun, I currently have an issue on my right ear so I won't be doing some reviews for a while. Everything on the list is tried and tested, I won't include anything I haven't tested. I won't put description on every IEMs on the list unless I have to justify it. Just have fun reading my tier list, no need to be too serious. Sen-Fi 2023 Tier List GOD Tier  (not in my official Tier List. These are basically revered being in God Tier because of their paramount price, only a selected few can own it, and it ha

TangZu ShiminLi : Taizong of Tang




Pros :

  • Clean, intimate midrange
  • Balanced bass
  • Natural sounding vocals
  • Generous ear tips
  • Robust and sturdy build

Cons :
  • Upper mids may sound a bit harsh
  • Heavy than some IEMs

These past few weeks, I have seen a lot of ShiminLi hype, which led me to be very interested in joining the hype, listening to these units personally, and of course,
as a reviewer, voicing out my thoughts on the unit. Despite some backlashes I heard, the majority have perceived the ShiminLi positively. But how does this fare with me personally? Let's find out

DISCLAIMER: I got this unit at a discounted rate; thank you to Sir Kent Adrianne Alfonso and TangZu for giving me this opportunity to afford the ShiminLi. However, I'll ensure that this review will be honest and unbiased as possible to make sure consumers will expect something out of their pocket.

ShiminLi once had a pre-order sale for around $30; during the writing of this review, the ShiminLi is now at a $35 retail price.

/ intro /

Shimin Li is the second release of TangZu's trilogy, its predecessor, Yuan Li, made its debut way back in 2021 under the name T-Force YuanLi. I haven't experienced Yuan Li myself, but I am thrilled to try out the successor of Yuan Li. The second Emperor of the Tang Dynasty, Shimin Li.

/ packaging /



The packaging is a small box with neat art and the item's label. The Chinese market sure is stepping up on leveling up the aesthetics of their packages. The package includes the following :
-3 pairs of aet08 (bass)
-3 pairs of aet07 (reference tuning)
-Black braided cable with a 2-pin male connector




Very straightforward with a generous amount of ear tips. I wish they would throw in a case or, at the very least, a ziplock or pouch.


/ build /



Shimin Li has a metal shell with a honeycomb design which feels sturdy but heavier than usual IEMs. I also chose the color silver since it is more low profile than gold. However, if you want to be symbolic, I would take the gold since, according to history Shimin Li's era is considered a GOLDEN age in ancient Chinese history and was treated as required studying material for future crown princes. The female 2-pin is not protruding, which is a plus for me. When I saw the cables from the images, I underestimated them for looking stiff and cheap.

Then upon receiving the unit itself, I found the cables to be okay. Not bad; it's thick and well-braided. It may be stiffer than some cables, but it's not that kind of stuff that feels annoying.

/ sound /


Tested Tracks:
Wilderness - Explosion In The Sky
Helplessly Hoping - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Paper Trails - Darkside
You've Got To Have Freedom - Pharoah Sanders
Pepas - Farruko
Pepas (Benny Benassi Remix)
Pepas (David Guetta Remix)
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Heroes - David Bowie
Chandelier - Sia
The Days - Avicii
Drinks - Cyn
asphixia - Co Shu Nie
Hotel California - The Eagles

Bass : The low frequencies of this IEM are not overwhelming but do not disappoint. Bass is present when you need it; you still have that thump and slam. It doesn't have enough sub-bass quantity to experience that earthy rumble, but the mid-bass still packs a  punch. If you want to test the amount of bass in these pairs I suggest listening to [Paper Trails - Darkside] and any remix of [Pepas - Farruko].

I'll be giving the bass a 4 out of 5; I can assure you that most users would love the lower end of this set unless you wanted excessive bass.

Mids : Mids are pretty decent, with a slightly forward presentation in the upper midrange. I experienced occasional shout on some tracks, leading me to adjust volumes when needed. Nevertheless, some tracks still offer
intimate and organic vocals. Male vocals sound neutral and pleasant. Female vocals are compelling and intimate.

Mids deserves a 4 out of 5.
Overall, it's pretty decent, but sometimes the upper-midrange peak is something I find uncomfortable.

Treble : Highs are inoffensive and have decent details; some micro-details are present and can be heard. I believe the majority would prefer this safe tuning on the higher frequency to enjoy these pair without
worrying about piercing, cold, or treble. So far, treble is soothing, relaxed, and enjoyable.

Treble deserves a 4 out of 5. It may not opt for the most complex timbre and crispy percussions, but the safe tuning of the treble and decent detail retrieval is enough to compensate for the upper mid's peaks and make this a more forgiving set.

Soundstage and Imaging 3.5/5 :
The soundstage is average, not the best and most comprehensive stage but it is pretty decent for its price. Still has enough width to create a room-like space. Imaging is good; I can discern the position of the instruments and vocals well.

FINAL SCORE






TangZu did a fantastic job on this tuning, and I must say this is definitely worth the hype. It is not your typical V-shaped IEM that most Chi-Fi market offers. Most V-shaped IEMs often get obsolete or forgotten due to being too redundant in the market. Shimin Li wanted to avoid that undoing, and I believe they're successful. This is a unique set that I could highly recommend even in 2 years, considering that the Chi-fi market is rapidly growing and production is growing in great numbers. The overall sound of the ShiminLi does not emphasize any frequency, so I conclude that these pair would be neutral, they may not be suitable for everyone's tastes, but if you want something different, I could suggest these pair.

The pre-order offer has already ended, but I can still say, at a retail price of $35, this is a fierce competitor in the Chi-Fi market in the sub-$50 category. 



Comments

Popular Posts