Skip to main content

Featured

Sen-Fi's 2023 IEM Tier List

Before the year ends I created this tier list for fun and wanted to categorize the IEMs I reviewed, auditioned, and owned. DISCLAIMER: Anything on this tier list is subjective. You can refer below to how I logically categorize some of the IEMs on this list This list is not the "one true tier list" or the "gospel". Geez, I'm not that much of an expert and what's good for you may not be good for others, vice versa. I'm basically doing this for fun, I currently have an issue on my right ear so I won't be doing some reviews for a while. Everything on the list is tried and tested, I won't include anything I haven't tested. I won't put description on every IEMs on the list unless I have to justify it. Just have fun reading my tier list, no need to be too serious. Sen-Fi 2023 Tier List GOD Tier  (not in my official Tier List. These are basically revered being in God Tier because of their paramount price, only a selected few can own it, and it ha

HIFIMAN SVANAR Wireless - The R2R True Wireless Solution


I am thrilled to review another true wireless in-ear monitors. It has been a while since I reviewed TWS set. This time, we are going to review the Hifiman Svanar Wireless. It  is also the first of its own to use an R2R DAC in each pair. The SVANAR Wireless uses the HIMALAYA which stands as a refined 24-bit DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter), distinguished by its utilization of the R2R architecture. This design is highlighted by an FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) chip, intricately composed of an array of resistors.

DISCLAIMER:

  • I have no affiliation with HIFIMAN and have not received any monetary compensation during or after writing this review.  This unit is loaned to me by Auricular Remedy and this will be an honest and unbiased review.
  • As a non-professional reviewer, I aim to use simple terms that can be understood by both beginners and experts in the hobby.
  • Please keep in mind that the opinions expressed in this review are subjective and based on my personal experience with the unit. I encourage you to try the product yourself to form your own opinion.

PACKAGING

The packaging appears quite simplistic, yet regrettably underwhelming. The provided eartips are cheap and uncomfortable to use, especially to my sensitive skin, and there is a noticeable absence of instructional materials regarding the product's usage. However, they do offer an online manual on their official website, accessible here.


What's inside the box:
  • SVANAR TWS and Wireless Charging Case
  • 5 pairs of silicone eartips
  • 2 pairs of foam tips
  • USB Type-C cord

BUILD QUALITY


The build quality of the TWS case is rather questionable since it uses a somewhat plasticky design but it has a cool and sophisticated geometric design which makes it very modern looking. The in-ear monitors showcase a unique and attention-grabbing design, yet they are not without their imperfections. The faceplate features a silver plastic shell, and given the price point of $500, an alloy shell might have been a more premium choice. The inner section of the shell adopts a carbon-fiber-like pattern, but the nozzles are notably short, which could potentially be a problem to longer stemmed in-ear monitors. Additionally, the mesh appears rather inexpensive, reminiscent of what you might find on low-cost Chi-fi in-ear monitors, no offense intended. The tactile region on the shell is conveniently discernible by touch and offers impressive sensitivity, but it can be annoying since the touch panel is not capacitive, meaning it responds to anything other than the electrical flow of our body parts. From my personal experience, the fit is rather uncomfortable for me as it causes discomfort in the tragus area of my ear. These TWS has an IPX5 rating, signifying their water and sweat resistance. 

CONNECTIVITY AND CONTROL

For additional details regarding the controls, please refer to the online manual.

While the controls offer high precision, the touch control mechanism can be quite bothersome due to its non-capacitive nature. For instance, when lying on your side in bed, it might inadvertently pause the currently playing music. The SVARNA provides fundamental playback controls, although it does not include a volume control feature.

In terms of connectivity, the AAC and SBC connections are pretty much stable and has good bandwidth and stability. The concern emerges specifically when using the LDAC mode, as there might be potential issues during mode transitions or while physically moving. Throughout my experience with the SVARNA, I've consistently encountered challenges such as disconnections, sudden pauses, and sporadic audio playback limited to just one side. Undoubtedly, this problem stands as a considerably significant drawback. Hifiman is very transparent about this issue since they have a warning label on the box and manual about the consequences in using LDAC mode. 

CODEC SUPPORT

I'm using my Sony XZ1 Compact, which features APTX and APTX HD support. Yet, upon attempting to switch to the APTX codec, it consistently reverts to LDAC. The device does have support to LDAC, AAC and SBC, albeit restricted to these options.

MODES

The Svanar has three modes, the Hi-Fi mode is the default configuration outside the box.
  • High Fidelity
  • Transparent Mode
  • Active Noise Cancellation mode
To be honest, my experience left me quite disappointed, as these modes failed to make a significant impression on my listening encounters. The transparency mode of the Svanar is less than commendable, as it doesn't effectively amplify ambient noise, leaving me with the sensation that I still need to remove my earphones to grasp my surroundings. While it does capture some minimal ambient sounds, its performance is rather limited. Comparatively, the transparency mode of the Samsung Buds 2 Pro, although not perfect, is notably superior to the Svanar. When I first engaged the transparency mode on the Buds 2 Pro, I noticed a considerable improvement in my ability to hear my surroundings better while wearing them. The ANC did nothing better as well as it only recessed the sound rather than cancelling environmental noise. While the ANC mode doesn't provide exceptional isolation, it does offer a modest level of noise reduction in contrast to the approach of maximizing the volume in Hi-Fi mode to block environmental sounds. It manages to fulfill its purpose to a certain extent, although it doesn't particularly stand out in this regard.

SOUND


The Svanar Wireless has a balanced sound-signature which sounds energetic, and natural.

BASS
The bass carries a rich, full-bodied texture with a well-balanced tonality, offering a substantial amount of sub-bass presence. While the midbass lacks forceful, impactful punches, the pronounced sub-bass delivers a satisfying experience. It demonstrates versatility, capable of diving deep when required or maintaining a more subtle presence. 

MIDRANGE
The midrange is subtly recessed, yet it emanates a warm and natural tonal quality. Both male and female vocals possess a euphonic resonance. Instruments are not snappy, yet they do have  a respectable level of detail.

TREBLE
The treble maintains a secure and laid-back nature. It avoids any harshness or sibilance while encompassing a pleasant sense of spaciousness. This quality makes it suitable for extended listening sessions. I just can't use this comfortable without finding the right snug fit and usually hurts the tragus area of my ear.

TECHNICALITIES
Considering its $500 price tag for a true wireless setup, the soundstage leaves much to be desired. While it presents average width and height, it manages to avoid sounding congested or messy. The imaging remains accurate, displaying smooth panning that ensures every element occupies its appropriate position on the stage. The resolution is commendable, as there is no discernible distortion regardless of whether you increase or decrease the volume. 

TEST TRACKS


CONCLUSION

PROS:
  • Excellent balanced sounding TWS
  • Natural and energetic tonality
  • Elegant design
  • Commendable battery life
  • Stable connection for SBC and AAC
  • It has the capacity to accommodate various sizes of ear tips within the charging case.

CONS:
  • Uncomfortable fit (personal)
  • Plastic materials used are quite disappointing for $500
  • No volume controls
  • No APTX Support
  • Not a fan of its ANC and Transparency mode
  • The charging case is bulky and not easily pocketable
  • LDAC mode is quite unstable
  • No instruction manuals, you'll have to search for it online

While the Hifiman Svarna has an excellent sonic performance, unique design, and commendable battery life. However, its features and overall quality is quite lackluster, despite its unique design. At a cost of $500, I find myself investing in an R2R technology that doesn't hold much relevance or uniqueness for a casual user like myself, and its unstable connectivity which is a very critical and concerning issue. The various modes fail to excel in their intended functions, and the ergonomics leave much to be desired. The inclusions provided are notably minimal and basic in nature. For me, the cons outweighs the pros and paying this much for a TWS is risky. It's really hard to say at this standpoint if I would recommend the Svarna. In my personal perspective, I wouldn't consider spending over $200 solely for the sake of hi-fi audio in a true wireless setup. Instead, I would lean towards exploring options within the sub-$200 range for a true wireless solution. However, despite its imperfections, this marks the inaugural R2R True Wireless product, and Hifiman has exerted considerable effort to incorporate this innovative wireless solution. I am confident that their future iterations could yield even better results, with the potential for the Svanar Wireless to serve as a significant milestone in their progress.



Comments

Popular Posts